Date: 15 May 2019
Message: Linksys responded to a vulnerability submission from Bad Packets on May 7th, 2019 regarding a potential sensitive information disclosure flaw: CVE-2014-8244 (which was fixed in 2014). We have tested both Linksys EA7500 and EA8100 with the default settings (Auto Firmware Update enabled and Firewall enabled) and confirmed that both products are not impacted.
As always, customers are highly encouraged to update their routers to the latest available firmware and check their router security settings to ensure the firewall is enabled.
The links below are some best security practices you can employ to protect your WiFi network:
A. Ensuring your Firewall is Enabled
- EA8100:- https://linksys-sh.com/support/faq-2/#1528883574531-d644a5b6-5f83
- EA7500 – https://linksys-sh.com/support/faq-ea7500/#1541036027723-122ab5cc-4722
B. Enabling the Auto Firmware update (this not only helps keep the network secure but also enables Firmware updates that will optimize the performance of your router)
- EA8100 – https://linksys-sh.com/support/faq-2/#1548301489952-97761ec3-d543
- EA7500 – https://linksys-sh.com/support/faq-ea7500/#1548302345268-4a80b61d-c187
C. Changing your default admin password
- EA8100 – https://linksys-sh.com/support/faq-2/#1528883228155-5164db5c-25b3
- EA7500 – https://linksys-sh.com/support/faq-ea7500/#1541035894741-9d5ff644-b19b
D. Changing your WiFi password periodically